Paatra (Colocasia Leave’s Rolls) is very famous gujarati recipe. Paatra is made from Arbi (Colocasia) leaves. Litteral meaning of “Paatra/ Patra in gujarati is Leaves“. That’s why this recipe was named Paatra. The recipe has sweet, tangy and spicy taste. Paatra can be served all alone or it can be served as side dish in gujarati thali (dish).
- 25 number of Patra (Arbi leaves)
- 2 table spoon oil to shallow fry leaves
- For besan batter
- 1 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
- 1/2 table spoon oil
- 1 tea spoon Red chilli powder
- 4 tea spoon Dhaniya powder ( Coriander Powder)
- 2 table spoon Grated Jaggery
- lemon juice of 1 and 1/2 big lemon
- 1/2 tea spoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 8-10 Grated Garlic Cloves
- Water as required
- Wash paatra leaves and dry them using cloth and remove thick veins from each leaf using sharp knife.
- Mix all ingredients of besan batter and make semi thick batter.
- Place the paatra leaf on a flat surface such that its veins facing (back side) up.
- Apply the the besan batter on the leaf using your fingers and make even layer.
- Fold the leaf from two sides and apply besan batter again on the folded side.
- Then fold the bottom part up as shown in the figure below.
- Roll the leaf tightly while applying the besan paste with each fold and keep the roll aside.
- Same way make rolls of all leaves.
- You can steam all the rolls in steamer for 20 to 25 minutes or shallow fry them.
- To shallow fry rolls take oil in one flat pan and put rolls and cover the pan with lid. After 5 minutes turn the rolls. Cook them, until its sides become golden brown and they are cooked properly. Cook them on medium flame for 15 to 20 minutes.