Surati Undhiyu – Gujarati’s Winter Special
I prepare this dish more often in winter and especially on our gujarati’s festival Uttarayan. This recipe has unique taste which is loved by gujju and non gujju people. Its is identity of Gujarati food.
Unidhiyu is very famous traditional recipe. Undhiyu is mix vegetables preparation made in winter season. The name of recipe “UNDHIYU” has come from its very old method of preparation. In old days Undhiyu was made in “matla” ( a mud pot), which used to be fully filled with vegetables and placed upside down (Undhu) in fire to cook vegetables. Nowadays, it is prepared in pressure cooker. This dish especially prepared on famous gujarati festical Uttarayan. Undhiyu is made all over Gujarat in winter. All part of Gujarat has its own variations in the recipe. But the Undhiyu prepared by people of Surat city of South Gujarat , is very famous all over the Gujarat.
Undhiyu is prepared from vegetables like Papdi ( green beans), purple yam, sweet potato, raw banana, potato and brinjal which are mixed with special Undhiyu masala( curry). In Undhiyu, special dish called Methi Muthiyas ( Fenugreek Rolls) are also added.
- 250 gm Papdi beans (Surti Papdi is preferable)
- 1 number unripe banana unpeeled cut in medium size cubes
- 100 gm small Brinjal
- 200 gm Sweet potato cut in medium size cubes
- 250 gm purple yam cut in medium size cubes
- 4 table spoon oil
- 1/2 tea spoon asafoetida ( hing)
- 2 cup water.
Ingredients for undhiyu masala:
- 1 cup green coriander finely chopped
- 50 gm green garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tea spoon dry garlic paste
- 1 and 1/2 table spoon green chili-ginger paste
- 3 tea spoon sesame seeds
- 2 table spoon groundnut
- 3 table spoon grated coconut
- 1/2 tea spoon asafoetida ( hing)
- 2 table spoon dry coriander powder
- 3 table spoon oil (take the left over oil in which you have deep fried muthiya)
- 1/2 cup Methi leaves (Fenugreek leaves)
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground wheat floor
- 1/4 cup normal wheat floor
- 1 table spoon gram floor ( besan)
- 1 tea spoon chili-ginger paste
- 1 tea spoon sugar
- 1 tea spoon coriander powder
- 1 table spoon oil
- 1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients of Methi Muthiya, and make small rolls from it.
- Deep fry the Muthiya till they become golden brown.
- Prepare undhiyu masala by mixing all ingredients of undhiyu masala well. (In masal instead of finely chooped green coriander and garlic, you can take paste.)
- Divide undhiyu masala in two parts.
- Take one part of masala. Make cross slits in brinjal and banana. Stuff approximately 1 table spoon undhiyu masala in each of them and mix yam and sweet potato with remaining masala.
- Other half part of Undhiyu masala is kept aside for later use.
- Place a pressure cooker pan to heat on gas stove.
- Add oil in it. Add 1/2 tea spoon asafoetida ( hing) in oil and then add Papdi beans.
- Add chili-ginger, garlic paste and salt in the papdi and mix them well.
- Add 1 cup of water in Papadi and bring it to a boil.
- Take half portion of the undhiyu masala and spread one layer of kept aside masala on papdi.
- On masala layer, make another layer of all vegetables mixed with masala.
- On the top of all this, arrange Methi Muthiya.
- Add 1 cup water in the mixture and close pressure cooker lid.
- Pressure cook for three whistle. For the first whistle keep the stove on high flame, and after first whistle reduce the stove flame to medium for the rest of two whistle.
- Turn off the heat flame and let the pressure of the cooker release.
- Once pressure cooker cools down remove the lid.
- Undhiyu is ready to serve.